Friday 10 April 2015

3D Printing Is Cool!

I working these days on a simple smart home project. My first device in this project is the door lock.
I am working on this project after I got locked down in my home. I forgot the home key in the car and my parents locked the door when going to work. At this moment I came to a conclusion that door keys are stupid, we got phones and fingerprints, we do not need keys anymore,
So to solve this problem I searched for some electronic door lock. Is my country, almost all the doors come from specific manufacture, this manufacturer produce the locks in a really unique way that make every smart lock product I found incompatible.  I decided to use a 3d printer to print a piece that will wrap the cylinder key and will "export" gear teeth that I can wrap with a pulley.




I used OpenScad for the drawing and couple of days ago by accident I deleted the draw, so all I got now is crappy picture from my phone:


The printing process:



(The testing thin piece)




The final result:


The frame:


The gear is holded with duct tape for testing purposes, the cylinder of the door should hold it when its done.

Many thanks to TAMI HackerSpace for letting me use their 3d printer. I really like the concept of hackerspace, cool place to spend your free time. Hope I can update soon with the electronics part.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment