Friday 3 January 2020

My new (old) computer

The things I am about to tell you began about a year and a half back. For a long time, I wanted a powerful computer. I was conflicted with Dual Xenon's workstation (maybe used),  Intel I9, and AMD ThreadRipper. The ThreadRipper seems like a really good choice, but I did not really like the single-thread performance, but the ridiculous PCI lanes bought me, as I really did want to put many GPUs/NVMEs (at least in the future). I did not really know how much GPUs I want. The problem with multiple GPUs under small form factor is the airflow, without some insane loud fans, cooling those GPUs probably won't be possible without custom water loop, so custom water loop it is.








(It looks much better now, with organized red power  cables instead of the black you see now)
The basics are AMD ThreadRipper 2950x with 1080 TI and 64GB RAM, and a custom EK water loop with a full motherboard block.


20 mins after turning on the PC I smell a burning scent, and it appears the GPU is dead. I empty the water loop and contacted Amazon (where I bought the GPU) and tell them about the issue. They said to me send us the card, and we will refund you. I put some toilet paper in the GPU (so the leftover water won't spill), and sent them back the card (with toilet paper inside!). They refund me no questions! what a service :)

I also had issues with the memory. I bought 64GB 3200mhz KIT, but apparently, those kits are only tested in Intel and not AMD. ThreadRipper had a lot of issues with memory speeds, especially with non B-Die dual rank sticks like I had. I managed to get it to 2933MHZ. I tighten the timings using Ryzen Calculator.

I mainly to use this computer to learn OpenCL/OpenCV/Cuda/Flink/Spark (while handling large data sets)/Machine Learning etc. I used to deal with those, but I still did not find the time to write about that :(



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete